A major power firm has admitted health and safety offences after a workman was electrocuted whilst working on the power line in August 2012.
The company was fined £133,000 for breaching the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974 Section 3 and told that a fine of £200,000 would have been imposed were it not for their plea of guilt.
Permit did not deal with foreseeable risk
HSE and the Police found that the electrical charge which led to the death was caused by induction from the adjacent live circuit.
The investigation concluded that the Permit to Work issued in relation to the work to be carried out was inadequate and that the risk of death or very serious injury was readily foreseeable. Gary Aitken, Head of Health and Safety Division said:
“Since this incident the company has carried out additional training in the Permit to Work process to ensure compliance with expected standards. Companies can fully expect to be prosecuted for their failure to fulfil their health and safety obligations.”