Apprenticeships offer a structured training programme for an Apprentice, combining college study with on-the-job training. Apprenticeships lead to respected qualifications – NVQs and SVQs, which prove that the standards of work expected in the industry have been met, supported by work on core skills.
The DSA has developed a Drilling and Sawing Apprenticeship for our sector called the Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Specialist concrete occupations (Construction) in England and Wales and the SVQ Level 2 and 3 in Specialist Concrete Occupations for Scotland. The elements of an apprenticeship are
- Training and assessment – an assessor will award the NVQ Diploma by verifying the achievements such as courses off-site and the evidence gained on site;
- Work Based Evidence – gathering and recording a wide range of work experience. College training: Key Skills
- Key Skills – aims to promote and recognise those skills that are essential to all jobs. Key Skills include such experience as dealing with customers and working out the cost of materials. Depending on the requirements of the Framework, apprentices work towards achieving Key Skills at level 1 or 2.
- Diploma – after consultation with industry the Sector Skills Council developed the Construction Diploma, these new off- the-job training qualifications are a response to the changing needs of industry. They deliver the underpinning knowledge and understanding relevant to the S/NVQ. They are delivered by a taught programme of off-the-job training.
- Employment Responsibilities and Rights – all employers and employees have responsibilities and rights under employment law, and employment can be affected by other laws as well. This key element is included in the apprentices training programme.
The aim of this scheme is to train new starters in the Drilling and Sawing industry as operators and provide existing operators with the means of gaining additional categories of equipment to their existing skills. The training programme consists of 21 days classroom training covering various modules set out within the qualification such as Diamond Drilling, further training takes place on-site carried out by the operatives supervisors followed by 4 days minimum assessment carried out by our assessor.
Groups of approximately 5-10 delegates can be accommodated – per intake. The on-site training will be carried out during normal working hours under the supervision of a designated experienced person from the employer based on the DSA Code of Safe Working Practices.
Within the programme, individuals will receive training in:
- Health and SafetyTrack Sawing
- Security of the Workplace
- Chain / Ring / Hand Sawing
- Operating Power Tools • Concrete Bursting
- An Efficient Working Environment
- Hydraulic Crunching
- Access Equipment
- Remote controlled Crushing and Breaking
- Diamond Drilling
- Wire Sawing
- Floor Sawing
The apprentice will also receive the following certification:
- IPAF Scissor Lift and Boom
- PASMA Mobile Tower
- Fire Marshall
- Manual Handling
- Abrasive Wheel
- Asbestos Awareness
- Confined Space
- Health and Safety Awareness
- Remote controlled Crushing
- First Aid
The Advantages of the Scheme
- Apprentices are benefitting businesses across the construction industry and more and more employers recognise the value of investing in training to create competent and qualified workforce for the future.
- 40% of contract costs are allocated to Operative labour. Testimonies from current employers of apprentices on the scheme, shows that a trained and competent operator can work more efficiently and productively which results in fewer problems on site and less damaged to equipment. (DSA 2012 Survey – Current Employers Benefits of the Scheme).
- The scheme is linked to the NVQ Diploma Level 2 in Drilling and Sawing and an Apprenticeship Deed from the CITB.
- There are substantial grants available from the CITB for training via this route – see PRICES
- It is another factor in persuading clients that we have a professional, trained workforce, working to a code of Safe Working Practice.
- Scheme is recognised by the UKCG – United Kingdom Contractors Group.
- Apprentices will have access to discounts via Oyster travel cards and NUS + discount card.
Find out more about our apprenticeships. Get in touch today.